Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Spanish, Mandarin and English???

Spanish, Mandarin and English???  I've come to realize that becoming a trilingual family has to be intentional! Speaking Spanish around Zachary has not come as natural as I thought.  With our primary languages being English, both Shaun and I often forget to turn on the switch and speak in our native languages while Zachary is around. Though, we're not quite sure how this will all work out, we feel confident that it will.  During my alone time with Zachary I attempt to speak only Spanish to him.  As Zachary and I make our way around the apartment I find random topics fur us to talk about.  Our conversations may center around the platano (banana) he has smothered all over his high chair to the secadora (dryer) he loves to bang on as we spend time in the kitchen. As I wake in the mornings I find Shaun speaking to Zachary in several different languages.  Whether it be Mandarin, Cantonese or Hokkien, both Zachary and I share the same confusion. Fortunately one of us will eventually understand.  While my efforts may seem futile at times, I try to remind myself that there is no better time for Shaun and I to share with our son the languages that have become our avenues of communication with some of our most dearest loved ones.   


Happy Tummy = Happy Baby
Play time in the kitchen!

No comments: