Thursday, October 8, 2009

The American and his foreign wife

Today was our INS interview in order for Shaun to obtain his GREEN CARD :) All went well! Our application was approved and Shaun should be receiving his Green Card in the mail in approximately 2 weeks! Yay! Although, I was a bit humored by something-as we approached the entrance of the building happily and nicely dressed (thank you love for wearing what I suggested) we were asked to turn off our cell phones and Shaun was asked to place his keys in a little bowl so that we could walk through the metal detector,etc. So as I'm turning gadgets off and nervously making sure I have no sharp items in my purse that could be perceive as a weapon, the security guard turns to my CHINESE husband and ask, "Sir does she speak English or Spanish?" I quickly looked up from my purse and politely said, "I know English..I can speak English...I speak English". I was baffled and somewhat humored at how he thought that my Mr. Tan was the "American" and that I was the "foreigner" aka "Mexican" applying for her green card on behalf of her husband!? He didn't even ask ME personally if I spoke English or Spanish, he asked my husband O_o Why didn't he think of asking me "Excuse me Ma'am, does your husband speak Chinese or English? Needless to say I was a bit humored by the scenario. =) Sigh...

louie