Friday, March 12, 2010

Estate Sale

I absolutely love running into estate sales! I don't go out in search of them but when I happen to find one, boy what a treat it is for me! Yesterday I bumped into my first estate sale in Houston. I wasn't really sure what to expect. Estate sales in Brownsville are generally okay but you won't find anything outrageously priced because of it's origin or it's age. Finding myself driving down a winding street in a upscale neighborhood I was feeling a bit nervous and afraid a resident would call the neighborhood armed guard on me. As I continued on past these big and beautiful houses I was a bit intimidated to get off at my destination. I thought, "what am I going to do in a house of riches?" As I pulled up to the culdesac I saw a fancy car or two. I then saw normal people just like me in search of something old and unique but at a good price! I then felt a lot better and walked in the door. Each time I walk through estate sale homes, I am in search of a little bargain I could bring home! Though in the midst of my search I can't help but think about the person(s) that passed and what their life must have been like. I try to create images and stories in my mind as I look over the possesions in the home. It was evident this person was well traveled and well read. There were pieces from all over the world displayed all over the house. There was so much of everything! I began to think though this person may have enjoyed all of these beautiful things when they were living and though they must have had a story for each item they attained, he/she is now gone, but their possessions remain for strangers like to me to appreaciate in such a different way. When I leave estate sales as excitd I am about leaving with my one dollar find, I can't help but feel a little somber. I hope I haven't depressed you by this point! =) I write all this as a reminder to myself that it is our hope that as a family, our lives will reflect lives with eternity in the forefront. That we would leave a place with little to be destroyed and stolen and arrive in a place in where we can rejoice for eternity in fruits that were borne for the Kingdom.

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6.19-20


ML



My little find: Wesley And His Century (Fitchett)

2 comments:

andy najera said...

great post...very true.. by the way what was the book about?

Mary Lou said...

Not sure. Have not read yet... Contains 4 books within: I. The making of a man II. The training of a saint III. The quickening of a nation IV. The evolution of a church V. Personal characteristics (Wesley's)

we will see!